Originally built in 1890 and designed by architect Warren B. Dunnell in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, Building 4 is a contributing building to the Minnesota Veterans Home Campus’s designation on the National Register of Historic Places. The design team sought to return the building from its deteriorated state to its original character, and infuse new elements that are respectful of the existing historic building and the historic landscape plan for the campus. One of the challenges with this renovation was to seamlessly blend modern sustainable building systems and accessible features into a historic structure. The addition to the west of the building provides for an accessible entrance to the building while juxtaposing modern and historical elements. A new elevator is concealed within the existing building.